That citation is a dissertation is important is not in doubt. Citation improves accuracy, makes you a better researcher, helps to proof your research skills to the dissertation committee and builds your credibility as a researcher. It is easier to verify your work when you include citations. However, citations are not easy and most postgraduate students have problems in this aspect of their dissertation project. For a start, you have to understand the citation style required by your department. If your supervisor has directed you to use dissertation citation in APA, you must observe all the rules used in this writing style. This article from DissertationTeam Blog highlights some of the APA citation requirements to help you write a winning paper. Keep reading.
Consult With Your Supervisor
While the APA citation of dissertation is popular in academic circles, you need to confirm if there are any unique requirements in your department. During your consultations with your supervisor, remember to bring this up to avoid hitches along the way. During your dissertation planning phase, make sure you tick all the APA citation requirements and include them in your to-do list as part of the dissertation outline. It is the only way to avoid time-consuming revisions.
Get Familiar With APA Writing Style
Some of the most important factors to remember in your dissertation citation APA style include:
- Basics of a reference list entry: When adding a reference item ion the reference list, follow this format; Author Surname, Author Initial. (Year Published). Title (Level). Institution Name. This format also applies to a published dissertation APA citation.
- Unpublished dissertation citation APA: Basics of a reference list entry for an unpublished thesis include; Author (surname followed by first initials), Year (in round brackets), Title, Level of Thesis (in round brackets), University, City, and country.
- Thesis/Dissertation (From a library database): Include the Author, (Year). Title of dissertation/thesis (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from Name of database. (Accession or Order Number). Identify the entry as a doctoral dissertation/master’s thesis in parentheses after the title.
- Bibliographic Reference Format: double-spaced references and indent half an inch after the first line. For dissertation / thesis titles use italics and “sentence-style” capitalization
- APA Reference List: The title of a text is in sentence case with only the first word and proper nouns in the title capitalized.
- In-text citation: After every quote or reference in the body of your dissertation, include an in-text citation as follows; (Author Surname, Year Published)
Use Citation Technology
Writing a dissertation is no simple feat and you need all the help you can get. Luckily, modern technology makes things easier both in research and the writing aspect of your project. An APA dissertation citation generator will help you properly credit the information you use throughout the paper. It saves you time and ensures your dissertation looks professional. If you need help with your citations, go online and find the best APA citation machine dissertation.
You should also read sample dissertations or talk to a professional dissertation writer to ensure you get the citations right.